Monday, January 14, 2008

Need some advice

I need some advice.

As I mentioned in my last post, my current contract job is offering me around another 4 weeks work. That's 37.5 hours next week and then 22 hours a week for the following 3 weeks at $24 an hour.

The problem I have is today I have been offered a permanent part time job at Spotlight starting in the middle of next week. I told them at the interview that I can only work school hours and every alternate Saturday. They want me for 15 hours next week starting Wednesday and then permanently after that but no set roster as yet but no less than 8 hours a week.

The problem is if I take this part time job I can't finish the temp job which would have given us an extra $2000 for the 4 weeks before tax. But then after those 4 weeks I would have nothing. If I take this part time job it is not as much money so quickly but its for good.

WHAT WOULD YOU DO?

My head is aching trying to work out what to do. If it had been the beginning of December before I got this temp job I would have jumped at it. Or even if I hadn't been offered an extention (the temp job was supposed to end Friday). But now all I can think of is that it will take me twice as long to earn what I will earn at Spotlight (roughly, thinking it will take 8 weeks to earn what I will earn for 4 weeks IF I get 22 hours every week) but then after that 8 weeks I will be getting extra - know what I mean?

I just know I am going to be tossing and turning for the next few nights.

4 comments:

Chris H said...

I always try to look at the 'big picture'... so if it was me I'd be taking the Spotlight job... it's permanent ... the hours are to suit you.... and the temp job is just that... temporary.

Rachael said...

Spotlight for suuurrrrreee. It's PPT- couldn't ask for more when you have got littlies at home. Congratulations!

Karen said...

I agree - I would take the Spotlight role too! Permanent and hours to suit you and the girls :)

Lyn said...

So what did you decide?? I think I agree with the other girls ... but tricky decision all the same. Money aside which job would you enjoy more? Money isn't everything if you don't enjoy a job.